Skip to main content
All CollectionsTutorsBecoming a Knack Tutor
Tutoring as a Non-U.S. Citizen
Tutoring as a Non-U.S. Citizen

Can I tutor on Knack as a international student/non-U.S. citizen?

Jacob Robinson avatar
Written by Jacob Robinson
Updated over a week ago

Tutoring as a non-U.S. citizen is possible on Knack and we look forward to having you join us. Please make sure to follow the steps below to avoid risks to your visa or immigrant status.

Check with your immigration authority

As a non-U.S. citizen, you must confirm with your international student office or other immigration authority whether you can tutor on Knack, and any restrictions in doing so. This may require you to apply for work authorization.

Understand how you will file taxes

You will be classified as a 1099 independent contractor for tax purposes, unless your learning center has explicitly hired you as a W-2 employee.

Get a U.S. Social Security Number

You will need a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) or another Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to tutor on Knack. We recommend that you get your SSN before you start tutoring. Keep in mind you may or may not be able to apply for an SSN depending on your visa, and the application can take several weeks to be approved.

For more information and support, check out our Help Center or chat with us by clicking the bubble in the bottom right corner of any page.

Did this answer your question?